The topic of creation can be very polarizing and can even stir up anger in some Christians. The objective here is to not debate but to encourage you to do some research for yourself and think about what you believe. Whether you know it or not, most of you have spent an enormous amount of time listening to evolutionary views and almost none listening to creationist views.
Allocate time to learn
How much time have you allocated to listening to views that support creation? It can surprise Christians to know there are extremely well-qualified scientists in the world who believe in a 6-day creation as recorded in Genesis 1 and 2.
If you believe in 6-day creation, then that is awesome but while we start with faith, God gave us a brain and we should use it to explore the facts. One important reason to explore this topic if you can, is that you will be challenged by nonbelievers as to why you believe in a 6-day Creation. An “I just believe it” response is not going to be enough. We should be as ready as we can to give an answer to those who would ask us about our faith. 1 Peter 3:15
Questions for you
- If you believe in Creation
- Have you read anything of substance to support the creation view?
- Could you argue your position from a scientific view at any level?
- If you believe in evolution or theistic evolution which is a belief that God was involved in the design and the overall process but still involving billions of years of evolution, then have you?
- Researched personally to come to your viewpoint or concluded that what the school science teacher tells me must be true?
Did you know?
- There have been an enormous number of proven hoaxes in the history of evolutionary thought: Visit the New York Apologetics site for more information
- If you research global warming/climate change views, you will find that no matter what you believe, there has been an enormous number of scientists who have falsified data to prove their particular argument. It helps them to get published, helps source research funding and keeps them as part of the “in crowd”. It is driven by “group think” and that inner drive for acceptance. Those who think outside the group are sidelined and ridiculed. The same happens with evolutionary science.
- Scientists tell us the universe is made up of something like 5% matter we can explain and 95% dark matter and energy that can’t yet be explained. This means that scientific knowledge still has a lot it does not understand.
Do your own research into the Creation view:
One reason Christians avoid researching this topic is they believe it is too difficult is to understand and should be left to scientists and academics. However, there is a large amount of material (videos and books and online) available that presents creation views from a scientific viewpoint in an easy to understand manner:
- Subscribe to the creation magazine at https://creation.com
- Answers in Genesis
- Creation Ministries International.
- Institute of Creation Research
If you have children, they will be continually exposed to evolutionary teaching. Getting the very affordable creation magazine referred to above, delivered to your home and having it generally available for discussion will be an excellent statement to your family of your faith in His Word while still acknowledging the validity of a scientific approach.
Check out the following information from creation scientists on arguements that should not be used to support belief in creation:
Eternally self-existent God vs nothing:
If you believe in creation, you will get the question: “Where did God come from?” God’s word conveys the idea that He is an eternally self-existent being and never tries to convey the idea that He came from anywhere because if that were true, you would have to ask where that something came before God.
Evolutionary scientists, on the other hand, have to argue that our existence came from nothing and that nothing created everything. Some deny this is what they argue but there is no alternative conclusion to draw from their view.
Evidence of design
- Consider the incredible design in an actual living cell which is more complex than anything created by humans. We have never been able to replicate a living cell and yet your body replicates billions of cells each day.
- Our DNA is not a random blob of information but a programmed information system of 23 chromosomes with 3 billion base pairs which science cannot replicate.
- Consider the “Goldilocks zone”/”anthropic principle” which helps us to understand that everything on our planet is just right to support life. If the variables were out by a small amount life on the planet would not survive. (see Information at the Institute of creation research)
God’s Word on Creation
- Jesus said in Mark 10: 6 that there was male and female at the beginning. This is incredible design from the start. Do you disagree with Jesus?
6 “But at the beginning of creation, God made them male and female.
- If there was a theistic (God) evolutionary process where God was involved in an evolutionary process over billions of years, then creation would not have been “good” because there would have been billions of years of death until God had developed modern day man.
- Paul said sin and death came through one man. The idea of theistic(God) evolution conflicts with the idea of one man. Romans 5:12, 1 Corinthians 15:21–22
- Scripture presents Jesus as the “second Adam”. This only makes sense in the context of a “first Adam” from whom all sinful humanity has proceeded, as being one single person, just as the second Adam (Jesus) is the foundation of the new creation. 1 Corinthians 15:45-49.
- The idea of a 6-day creation is embedded in the 10 commandments. The Hebrew word “yom” is a day. The creation story itself uses the term “evening and morning” to describe each day which seems like an intentional design by God to tell us that each creation stage was done in a 24hour period.
- The New Testament only considers the people listed in genealogies in Genesis as real people – eg: Adam, Enoch, Noah, Cain and Abel
- Jesus spoke of the killing of all the prophets Abel (in Genesis 4) to Zechariah at the end of the Old Testament and therefore treating them all as real people from the beginning. Luke 11:50–51
- Jesus spoke of Noah and Moses as real people.
45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”
This all suggests that if we disagree with the creation story written by Moses, we are disagreeing with the Lord Himself.
Start a process of looking up information on creation science and investing in material that will help you understand the issues and better enable you to give an answer to those who ask why you believe in creator God and a 6-day creation.