2 minutes to read
Select a Bible:
- Ensure you have a Bible with both an Old and New Testament.
- The post on Bible versions will help you choose a Bible version.
- Start with a physical bible as it will give you perspective on the layout.
- Three good books of the Bible to cover off first are the gospel of John and then James (in the New Testament) and then Genesis, the first book in the Old Testament.
- It is better to read a complete book than jumping around at random.
- When you start a new book in the Bible, it would be extremely helpful to visit The Bible Project each time. It provides 7-10 minutes overviews of each book and other short videos about the Bible.
- Use the contents/Index section to find what you are looking for and use a bookmark to keep your place.
- Underline text and write in the margins – make it your own
- It can be helpful to have a reading plan that will help you read the whole Bible over time.
- Create a daily habit of reading the Bible. The knowledge and understanding will build over time and change your life but it doesn’t happen overnight.
- Some form of Study Bible will be very helpful (see the Bible versions post).
- Learn that a single verse should be read in the context of the surrounding verses to get meaning.
- As you read, ask the Lord to highlight scriptures to your heart and to help you understand some of those difficult passages. It is about hearing the Word in your heart and allowing it to change you.
- Access some form of Bible software such as YouVersion and OliveTree: https://www.youversion.com https://www.olivetree.com/ They provide free study tools such as a Bible dictionary and reading plans.
- Visit The Bible Project for further insight.
- Check out Got Questions if you have difficult questions.
- Start out with the objective to read, to ponder and to think about scripture using a physical bible on a daily basis.
- Rely on the insight of the Holy Spirit as you read.
“A bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t” Charles Spurgeon
The Greatest Story Ever Told